Although it isn’t a serious medical problem, bad breath often causes a person to lose confidence and worry that their bad breath will disturb others. If you have a similar problem, understanding how to get rid of bad breath can help restore your confidence.
Bad breath or halitosis can be caused by a variety of things. However, studies show, 80% of bad breath is caused by problems with oral health, such as cavities or gum problems. Therefore, maintaining healthy teeth and mouth is very important.
Causes of Bad Breath
- Bad breath is not only caused by health problems with teeth, gums, and strong-smelling foods. Some other health conditions that can also cause bad breath include:
- Xerostomia, which is the dry mouth that occurs due to disruption of saliva production due to bacteria accumulating in the oral cavity.
- Digestive tract disorders, such as H.pylori bacterial infection which causes stomach ulcers and acid reflux disease (GERD).
- Sinusitis results in postnasal drip or thick fluid flow from the sinus cavity to the throat.
- The influence of other conditions, such as diabetes, liver problems, or respiratory infections.
In addition to some of the health conditions above, bad breath can also be caused by smoking, lack of oral hygiene, certain foods or drinks, and an excessive diet that causes a lack of carbohydrates.
How to get rid of Bad Breath
If you feel that you have kept your mouth and teeth clean but your bad breath still doesn’t go away, try the following ways:
- Brush your teeth twice a day, regularly. You can also use mouthwash after brushing your teeth.
- Change your toothbrush at least every two months.
- Clean the tongue, and drink a glass of water after waking up to get rid of bad breath.
- Remove and clean dentures if you use them so that no bacteria can breed on the dentures.
- Chew on orange peels, lemon, and parsley. The production of saliva triggered by citrus acids can help get rid of bad breath, while parsley can neutralize bad odors.
- Check your dental health at least every 6 months.
- Stop smoking and avoid excessive coffee consumption.
- Chew low sugar gum.
- Reduce or even completely avoid alcohol consumption.
- Drink enough water so that bacteria and other debris in your mouth can be quickly removed.
- Also, pay attention to what you eat. Avoid foods like onions and garlic which have a strong odor.
- Choose healthier snacks, such as raw apples or carrots, because the water in them can help clean your mouth. Eating a healthy diet and eating regularly can also help prevent bad breath.
- Also, you can use mouthwash to remove bad breath. However, usually, the effect of this liquid is only temporary.
To find out the cause of your bad breath and how to get rid of bad breath according to that cause, consult your doctor directly for further tests.