Eye bags and dark circles problems can be overcome with a variety of appropriate treatments. With natural ingredients, you can do the treatment at home or if you want through medical procedures you can try such as lasers, dermal fillers (implants to improve the appearance on the face), and eyelid surgery.
Eye bags or also known as panda eyes often arise with age. When the tissue and muscles that support the eyelids weaken. Generally, this is only a matter of beauty and rarely caused by serious medical conditions.
The appearance will be even more disturbing if the eye bags are accompanied by circles under the eyes, light swelling, sagging skin, and wrinkles.
Aging, fatigue to lack of sleep are the main causes of eye bags and dark circles problems in your eyes. To get rid of eye bags effectively, it’s good to know in advance what causes the appearance of eye bags that you experience.
In addition to aging and fatigue, there are a variety of other factors that can trigger eye bags and dark circles on your eyes, including:
- Increased melanin or post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation due to allergies.
- Damage to blood vessels.
- Decreased fat under the eyes due to skin problems.
- Too much caffeine and tobacco consumption cause sleep deprivation.
- Fluid retention due to weather changes, hormone levels, and salty foods.
- Allergy or dermatitis accompanied by swelling, redness, and itching.
- Stress and sun exposure.
- Nasal congestion, anemia, until pregnancy.
- How to get rid of eye bags and dark circles
The problem of eye bags and dark circles on the eyes is only a matter of beauty that doesn’t require specific treatment. To get rid of it, home treatment and a healthy lifestyle can be the right solution to remove it, including:
- Eye compress. Compress your eyes with a clean cloth that has been moistened with cold water. Compress the eye for several minutes with a little pressure on your eyes. You can use a green tea bag or a piece of cucumber as a compress. Or you can use eye gel masks that are now sold in the market.
- Improve your sleep hours with enough time which is 7 to 8 hours a day.
- The sleeping position with your head slightly raised will help overcome your eye bag problems. Sleep with extra pillows to support your head. This method of removing eye bags helps prevent fluid from accumulating around your eyes while you sleep.
- Avoid alcoholic drinks and caffeinated, because it can cause mild dehydration, disrupt sleep hours, and make eye bags and dark circles appear more clearly.
- Adequate fluid intake can keep you from dehydration and help prevent eye bags. To avoid fluid retention, you can reduce the intake of processed foods that contain a lot of salt.
- Make sure you drink plenty of water, at least 8 glasses everyday so that your skin stays healthy and moist.
- Potassium intake can also help reduce excess fluid in the body which can trigger the appearance of eye bags. The food sources that contain potassium include bananas, beans, yogurt, and green vegetables.
Other Treatments Based on Causes of Eye Bags
If allergies are causes of the condition in your eyes, then the way to get rid of eye bags and dark circles is to avoid allergens and take allergy medications available at pharmacies or using a doctor’s prescription.
Dermal filler treatment at a dermatologist can be a solution for eye bag problems caused by damaged blood vessels, and loss of fatty tissue in your eye area.
Laser treatment and vitamin K
Laser treatment can reduce the appearance of dark circles due to broken blood vessels. Skincare products that contain vitamin K can also help remove eye bags and dark circles under your eyes.
This treatment can be a solution if your eye bags and dark circles are caused by too much melanin or suffering from hyperpigmentation. Usually, a dermatologist will prescribe creams that contain lightening agents such as retinol, hydroquinone, kojic acid, green tea, vitamin C, or soybeans.
Sunscreen SPF 30.
Avoid sun exposure and use sunscreen every day with SPF 30. Concealer with one color brighter than your skin color can help disguise dark circles under the eyes. It is recommended to use a concealer with SPF 15 or more.
If your skin tends to be oily or blotchy, use an oil-free concealer. Use eye creams that contain chamomile, cucumber, or arnica which can help reduce inflammation and tighten the skin.
Eyelid Surgery To Eliminate Eye Bag Problems
If your eye bags and dark circles problems don’t go away even get worse, and when lifestyle changes or other treatments don’t work, you can consider eyelid surgery or blepharoplasty. Your doctor will remove excess fat, muscle, and skin from your eyelids.
Besides to removing eye bags, blepharoplasty can also improve swollen eyelids, and reduce excess skin in the upper and lower eyelids. But, you need to consult a doctor first before performing eye surgery, considering the risks such as infections, dry eyes, vision problems to changes in the position of the eyelids.
Eye bags and dark circles are generally not a sign of a serious medical condition. Good luck with how to remove the eye bags and dark circles above. You should contact your doctor if you experience severe eye irritation and swollen eyes that last for a long time, as well as other symptoms that affect other parts of the body.
Because the accompanying symptoms can be a sign of more serious health conditions such as conjunctivitis, blepharitis or inflammation of the eyelids, ptosis or drooping eyelids, cellulitis, skin infections, to thyroid disease.